Easter is just around the corner and I suggest that we dye some eggs. Your kitchen is full of natural dyes.
Here are colors offered by dyeing agents:
Spinach – Pale Green
Orange marigold leaves – Pale Yellow
Turmeric – Golden Yellow
Cranberries – Pale Purple
Blueberries – Blue-Purple
Raspberries – Lavender
Pomegranates (juice or seeds) – Light Red
Beets – Pale Pink
Red Cabbage – Dark Pink/Dark Blue (depends of time of dyeing)
Coffee Grounds – Dark Brown
Onion Skins – Copper
1) Place dyeing agent in a large pot. Add a quart of cold water and 2 tablespoons white vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes
2) Add raw eggs. Boil for 30 minutes.
3) Periodically turn the eggs over so as to help the dye cover all sides of the egg.
4) Transfer the eggs to glass jars. Strain off the dye bath solids and pour the infused liquid into each jar. Cover with lids and allow to infuse at room temperature overnight.
5) Remove the eggs from the dye bath. Blot gently with a paper towel or cloth. If you’d like them shiny, buff them up with a little bit of olive or vegetable oil.
Photos and idea: designsponge.com